Join us on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 for Fresh MEÆT: a micro-fundraising event designed to bring people together for a meal and listen to a variety of home-grown ideas. With Fresh MEÆT, Edmonton’s NextGen and the Edmonton Food Council are focusing on supporting food and urban agriculture initiatives in Edmonton.
We’ll hear pitches from several different entrepreneurs about their food-related ideas. Attendees will vote on their favourite and the winner takes home a pot of money collected from the price of admission.
And of course there will be food to nibble on throughout the event! Food options include:
- Zwick’s Pretzels: mouthwatering pretzels of various types, from garlic dusted to spicy scallion and mozza, and more.
- Equi-tea: this social enterprise operated by the Multicultural Health Brokers Co-op will be serving shrimp spring rolls, summer rolls, beef samosas, fruit and veggie trays.
- Doughnut Party: fresh, heavenly donuts for dessert.
Here are the cool food initiatives we’ll be hearing about (in alphabetical order):
- Camola Sustainable Bakery: traditional Italian snacks made with the addition of insect flours.
- Food4Good Community Food Centre: opening a community food centre, which would be a permanent space for the expansion of Food4Good’s programming and provide the west end community with a multipurpose hub for cooking, growing, learning and accessing food.
- Grocery Bus: a pilot project that focuses on alleviating some of the issues found in food deserts. It provides a bus that picks people up with lower access to healthy/cheap food, takes them to an affordable grocery store to shop and takes them back home.
- Our Servings: a platform making it easy to divert wasted food from the landfill, making it easy for donors and suppliers to give and for agencies to accept.
- Sea to Sky Aquaponics: educate children about aquaponics and the role it plays in sustainable food production, with the long-term goal of having aquaponics incorporated into the school curriculum.
- Selam Meat Shop business plan: develop a sustainable business plan for a halal meat shop providing affordable, healthy halal meat to the Muslim community.
Fresh MEÆT Details
When: Tuesday, July 11 from 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Where: ATB Entrepreneur Centre Edmonton , 4234 Calgary Trail
Cost: $15 (RSVP here, limited tickets!*)
*Tickets will sell out fast, so buy yours now. $10 of your ticket goes towards the pot for the winner of the pitches.