The Edmonton Food Council (EFC) was created in 2013 through a strategic direction under fresh: Edmonton’s Food and Urban Agriculture Strategy. The EFC’s mandate is to advise and act on matters of food and urban agriculture and to take an active role in supporting the implementation of the fresh strategy. The EFC is comprised of 15 citizen volunteers who are actively involved in various aspects of the food system.
Specific activities that the EFC may undertake to perform this role include:
- Identifying and providing recommendations on City of Edmonton food issues, policies and opportunities;
- Providing advice and insight to the City and other key stakeholders on food-related matters;
- Proposing key work priorities to the City;
- Building and maintaining relationships with the food and urban agriculture community;
- Engaging with the community on relevant and timely food issues and policies;
- Facilitating connections between key players such as various City departments, community partners and local food businesses.